Not so long ago, people linked headshots with movie stars, models, and other celebrities. However, a headshot is now also commonly used for business marketing.
When you own or run a business, people associate your face with your business. That’s why it so important that you have a high-quality, professional headshot. Using your phone, electronic device or camera to take a photo just isn’t good enough. If you’re a business owner, entrepreneur, or professional, here are some the main reasons for using a professional photographer to take a headshot for your business.
Gives Your Business a Personal Touch
By having a professional portrait on your “about us” page, you can give your business a personal touch. Let’s face it. Most people want to see a photo of the person with whom they’re doing business. When you include a portrait on your website, your business becomes more personal, making it look more human.
Enhances Your Biography Page
Because your biography or “about” page usually gets the most web traffic, it’s critical that it includes headshots of all your professional staff. When people log on to a biography (bio) page, they want to connect a business with a face and not just read narrative about the person running the company. Furthermore, adding a headshot to a biography gives the page more professionalism, and it makes your business seem friendlier.
Makes Your Website Look More Professional
When your website has more consistent images, it looks more professional. Consider that having more than one headshot can be distracting, but when you use the same one for all your social media pages, it gives your clients the message that you’re a professional. When there are several different headshots, a business can appear disjointed, which can be a turnoff for potential customers.
Useful for Market and Branding Collateral
Branding is much more than just a catchy logo or tagline. It’s also an emotional tie that you make with your customers. In other words, your face is your company brand. Business owners use marketing collateral to talk about pertinent information, regarding their merchandise and services. Your headshot is a significant part of your marketing collateral.
Vertical vs. Horizontal Headshots
Before you book an appointment, tell your photographer your preference, regarding the orientation of your photo. A vertical headshot, which is a portrait orientation, is the style that is most used.
Horizontal headshots can also be a great choice. The advantage of a horizontal or landscape view is that it allows for more room on a page to fill it up with a background or the ability to crop in tighter for a more traditional look.
Considerations and Warnings
- Rather than using an old photo of yourself when you were younger, get a headshot that depicts what you look like now. You don’t want to mislead your customers, regarding your age as it’s best to be honest.
- Be sure to update your headshots when your appearance changes. For example, if you’ve lost a lot of weight or have had cosmetic dental work done to improve your look, have a professional photographer take a new one.
- The average shelf life of a headshot is about every two years.
- Before your photography session, let your photographer know your preference for color background, so he or she can order the right backdrops. Many photographers use white or grey backdrops because of their clean appearance.
- Rather than wearing a plain black or white jacket, opt for a jacket or top with a little color.
- Be sure to get high-resolution photos that can be used both in print and online.
For the highest quality in headshots, call Adam Lowe Creative. Besides doing headshots, I also do corporate event photography for dinners, conferences, award ceremonies and other events. What’s more, as a Washington D.C. commercial photographer, I provide architectural photography services to builders who’ve completed major residential and commercial projects, such as new home constructions, hospital remodeling jobs and others. Please contact us and find out more about our wide range of photography services.